Sunday, August 28, 2005

Katrina

Katrina has come ashore, and she has no mercy on us.

My husbands parents bought an old house in Gulfport about 10 years ago. A vacation home for us, their second home. It isn't anything fancy, but perfect for what we do there. They had just remodeled a lot of it 2 years ago. It is about a 1/2 mile from the beach. That used to be a good thing. Now it isn't. The news makes it sound like everything is gone. I guess we won't know anything until tomorrow.
So far there has been fifty deaths in Harrison County. Who knows how many more there will be
I can remember arguing with Cudadad about going to my in laws house for vacation. I did't want to go. I always managed to have some fun though. The first time my daughter saw the ocean was at the beach in Gulfport, MS. I remember sitting on the front screened porch at night. All of us hanging out. Talking about what we did that day, planning the next day.
I used to get so aggravated when we were there, because I spent half of my time, doing what other people wanted to do. Usually my plans never really happened. Now, I would love to just be able to sit on the front porch again.

I never thought this would affect me this much, but, I guess I really do care, I am already thinking of all the good things we have done there. Seeing my daughter play with my Mother in laws Mardi Gras dolls, and beads. My mother in law has beautiful fan pulls. they are all the same in every room. glass fish for the lights, various ones for fans. I gave her a hummingbird one, when I went on a shopping trip to Bay St. Louis.

I don't know if they will be there. Neighbors that are so sweet, they walk their dogs everyday and pass by, Little Miss Attitude always has to pet them. I know some of those neighbors stayed behind. I hope they are ok. I worry about this big tree right in front of the house, the tree needed to come down. I worry that it fell on the house. I guess I should worry about the water, and everything else. The house made it through Hurricane Camille in 1969, so maybe there is a chance it made it throught this one.
We go there on th Fourth of July and we would always watch the fireworks over the ocean. There is a a railroad near by, that when we first would go stay there, it would keep us up all night. Now it helps us sleep. We love to hear it in the night.
We have had a Thanksgiving there. it was nice. The whole family was there that year.

I pray and hope that everyone we know and all of the others will make it. I pray that the Shrimper's familes can get by without there boats. I pray that our family memories won't just be memories, and that the old house will still be an old house when we go back. that my little girl can go there again and sit on the front porch asking how soon we can go to the beach.

I hope next time we visit I can see the glass fish hanging from the lights, and the windchimes on th front porch, and that maybe when we have our next child someday they will be able to see the same front porch that Little Miss Attitude has done all of these years.

God Bless

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home